The online application is now closed – thank you all for your interest!
Laurence Lesser (USA)
Enrico Dindo (Italy)
Monika Leskovar (Croatia)
Jens Peter Maintz (Germany)
Suzana Stefanović (Spain)
First elimination round jury members
Thomas Buritch (Croatia)
Gal Faganel (Slovenia / USA)
Nikola Ružević (Croatia / USA)
Meehae Ryo (Korea / Austria)
1 – 7 February 2020
– program no longer than 15 minutes
a) Dall’ Abaco: Capriccio No. 1
b) Thomas Buritch: Some like to show it off ( DOWNLOAD SCORE )
c) Alfredo Piatti: One of the 12 capriccios
– program no longer than 45 minutes
a) one sonata from the list below
Ludwig van Beethoven:
Sonata for cello and piano No 2 in G minor Op. 5 No. 2
Sonata for cello and piano No 3 in A major Op. 69
Sonata for cello and piano No 4 in C major Op. 102 No. 1
Sonata for cello and piano No 5 in D major Op. 102 No. 2
Franz Schubert: Sonata for cello and piano “Arpeggione” in A minor D. 821
Sonata for cello and piano in E minor Op. 38
Sonata for cello and piano in F major Op. 99
Frederic Chopin: Sonata for cello and piano in G minor Op. 65
Cesar Franck: Sonata for cello and piano in A major
Richard Strauss: Sonata for cello and piano in F major Op. 6
Sergei Rachmaninoff: Sonata for cello and piano in G minor Op. 19
Claude Debussy: Sonata for cello and piano
Sergei Prokofiev: Sonata for cello and piano in C major Op. 119
Dmitry Shostakovich: Sonata for cello and piano in D minor Op. 40
Benjamin Britten: Sonata for cello and piano in C major Op. 65
b) one composition by competitor’s choice, solo or accompanied
(could be a movement of sonata) up to required length.
No transcriptions in second stage.
Substitute solo pieces should represent the standard cello repertoire.
a) one of the following concertos accompanied by Croatian Radiotelevision Symphony Orchestra
Anonin Dvořák: Concerto in B minor Op. 104
Robert Schumann: Concerto in A minor Op. 129
Pyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme Op. 33
Edward Elgar: Concerto in E minor Op. 85
Dmitry Shostakovich: Concerto No. 1 in E flat major Op. 107
Sergey Prokofiev: Sinfonia concertante in E minor Op. 125
- Official piano accompanist will be available.
- Each competitor is allowed one rehearsal free of charge with the official piano accompanist for the second Stage of the Competition.
If they wish so, competitors may request more rehearsals, which will be charged.
- Competitors may bring their own accompanists at their expense.
- Each finalist will have one rehearsal with Croatian Radiotelevision Symphony Orchestra.
- The Jury will choose up to six competitors for the Final Stage.
- The organizer will cover the cost of the accommodation for the finalists only, from the moment they enter the Final Stage.
- All compositions must be performed by memory, with the exception of duo sonatas.
- All performances shall be open to the public.
- The Jury reserves the right to reduce the length of performance.
- Decisions of the Jury are irrevocable.
- All competitors will receive certificates of participation.
- All prize-winners will receive honorary diplomas.
The Zagreb Soloists Award
The Antonio Janigro Association Awaard
The Accord case Award
International Summer School UZMAH Award
The Croatian String Teachers Association Award
Croatian Jeunesse Musicales Award
+385 (0)1 3668 - 027